GIF & Screencap Index || Scans
I try my best to tag possibly triggering posts with "tw" tags.
I run Women In Metal
and FUCK YEAH! Sophia Loren.
YOU CAN FUCK RIGHT OFF WITH THAT SHIT.
ALSO IF YOU THINK THAT PROVIDING BIRTH CONTROL AS A PREVENTATIVE HEALTH SERVICE TO UTERUS-BEARERS IS WASTE OF RESOURCES…
you are an asshole.
LIke seriously even if you only look at this from a fiscal perspective giving people free access to birth control is FAR LESS EXPENSIVE than pregnancy/medical complications from pregnancy or ovulation or even having ovaries or menstruating.
STOP HIDING BEHIND THE CONSTITUTION AS AN EXCUSE FOR NOT CARING ABOUT PEOPLE LESS FORTUNATE THAN YOU.
The non-partisan Institute of Medicine (IOM) released a report on Tuesday recommending that birth control be classified as preventive medicine under President Obama’s Affordable Care Act. The IOM says such a change would lower the rates of unintended pregnancy and abortion, help women better space out their pregnancies, and spur a number of beneficial health developments for women.
This needs to happen. Many women can barely afford their birth control because of how expensive it is. How on Earth are they then supposed to afford a baby?
I’m currently in a fight with a libertarian over this very subject.
Micaela just pointed out to me that a LOT of people on Tumblr don’t actually know what ableism really is. They sometimes use it as a synonym for racial stereotyping, sexism, or ageism.
Ableism is discrimination based on preconceived notions of someones abilities relating to their mental or physical state of being.
People seem to think it means something different.
Ableism is most often associated with discrimination against people with developmental disorders like autism and Down’s Syndrome, mental health disorders like OCD, BPD, and schizophrenia, and physically disabled persons who are blind, amputees, or have a degenerative disease like MS.
Some examples of ableism a student might face:
- “You can’t go on the field trip to the amusement park because you’re in a wheelchair”
- “You shouldn’t bother applying to college because your Asperger’s means you won’t be able to cope with the workload anyway.”
- “You go to a therapeutic school? So you’re retarded?”
- “You’re blind, so you can’t go on the scavenger hunt with us.”
Some examples in society:
- Education: Children with learning disabilities are segregated from “normal” students because they “slow down” the class. Proper learning assistance tools and technology are not provided to the student. Schools do not provide teaching aides for students
- Health Care: Funding for Medicare patients with disabilities is cut. A medicalized view of people with disabilities invalidates their ability to control their lives. Opposition to universal health care puts disabled people at risk of losing necessary benefits.
- Government: Funds are cut for programs that benefit the disabled. Independent living programs are not supported by government. Local government is often inaccessible to disabled persons.
- Sports: Assumption that it is “unfair” for a disabled person to have to compete with able-bodied athletes. Sports drug rules rule out people on medications. Assumption that able-bodied athletes are superior to disabled athletes, ex.) The Olympics and Paralympics.
- Media: Lack of braille books, and books on tape, in libraries and schools. Use of “normal” and “beautiful” people in advertising. The focus on disability as a “tragedy” to be overcome. Absence of disabled characters in TV, movies, etc. FOCUS ON PEOPLE WITH PSYCHIATRIC DISABILITIES AS SERIAL KILLERS, MURDERERS, OR CRIMINALS
Just thought people should know this.
Justice for missing and murdered Indigenous women worldwideThat women who are learning to birth babies in their home communities be fully funded and supported to do soAffordable access to birth control, particularly since it’s risen some 900% for low income women in the last two yearsAll Indian Health Service staff and centres to receive training on administering rape kitsThat Aboriginal women be entitled to matrimonial real property on reserve, and restored rights to own land after divorce, separation, or widowhoodFor pleasure to be an equal and important part of sex educationThat the grandmothers who are still raising entire families all on their own be given their dueFor the anti-choicers to stop their attacks in South Dakota and leave the state with the least amount of abortions aloneThat International Women of Colour Day on March 1st gets more recognizedFor the majority of health organizations who tout all the high statistics in Aboriginal communities to finally get it that they need culturally appropriate services and that the one size education models DO NOT fit allThat racist legislation such as the Hyde Ammendment, which basically states that racialized and low income women do not get funding from Medicaid to have an abortion, is repealedFair and equal pay for equal work, not the 72 cents to every dollar a man makes in CanadaThat the ultimate mother; Mother Earth, is more well respected and taken care ofFor another transgendered person not to worry that services won’t include them, whether at the fertility clinic or at the women’s centre on campusThat righteous Native female rap artists, like Eekwol and JB the First Lady get the mainstream radio play and cred they deserve for keeping it realFor people to know that sex positive feminism rocks, and that this also means supporting rights for sex workersThat the ongoing sterilization of women without their knowledge or consent, whether because they are HIV positive or racialized, ceasesFor Indigenous feminists to come out as Indigenous feminists, loud and proudThat Aboriginal women and families be deemed fit and worthy caregivers, to eradicate the apprehension of the 27 000 First Nations children currently in state careFor older women and younger women to share, mentor, and talk more to one and otherThat the men who are doing the damn thang working in solidarity with us to keep on keeping on. You are loved!To not only pick one day out of the year to honour, revere, or celebrate the life-givers of this world
Beautiful. Happy International Women’s Day, loves! <3
Not just the defender of Gotham, but also a defender of reproductive rights.
(I hear him and Feminist Hulk are BFFs.)
“Did you know that in the Far East, people pay their doctors when they’re healthy? When they’re sick, they don’t have to pay. So basically, they end up paying for what they want, not what they don’t want. We’ve got it all ass-backwards, here.”
The U.S. House of Representatives has just voted to bar Planned Parenthood health centers from all federal funding for birth control, cancer screenings, HIV testing, and other lifesaving care.